U.S. President Donald Trump said he secured a 2025 ceasefire between India and Pakistan by threatening 200% tariffs, a claim India has rejected while reiterating that disputes must be resolved bilaterally.
Nepal Verified News
Sat Feb 21 2026

U.S. President Donald Trump has once again claimed that the 2025 “ceasefire” between India and Pakistan was made possible through his initiative. He said he brought both countries to the negotiating table by warning them of imposing import tariffs of up to 200 percent.
Trump repeated the claim in the context of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that the Trump administration had exceeded its legal authority while implementing “reciprocal tariffs.” He stated, “I have resolved eight wars, including major and potentially nuclear conflicts like India and Pakistan. I told them that if they wanted to fight, they would not be allowed to trade with the United States and would have to pay 200 percent tariffs. After that, they called and said peace had been achieved.”
Meanwhile, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif praised Trump during the inaugural meeting of a Peace Board, describing him as a “man of peace” and a “savior of the people of South Asia.” He claimed that Trump’s timely intervention had potentially saved millions of lives.
The developments are linked to tensions that arose after the Pahalgam terrorist attack in April 2024, in which 26 people were killed. In response, India launched “Operation Sindoor,” targeting terrorist infrastructure inside Pakistan.
However, India has rejected Trump’s claim of mediation and reiterated its long-standing position that all issues, including Jammu and Kashmir, should be resolved bilaterally between the two countries.
No comments yet









